Disability North is a user-led organisation whose aim is to promote inclusion, independence, and choice for disabled people across the northeast. See below for the wide range of services that they offer:
Welfare benefits service
- Help with applications, benefit checks and appeals.
- Making sure you get subsequent passporting benefits following a successful claim.
- Advice on organising direct payments, managing your personal budget and employing your own support staff.
- Manage funds such as personal budget on your behalf or assist you to manage them yourself.
- Help you to employ your own support staff by registering you as an employer with HMRC, processing monthly payslips, calculate tax and National Insurance contributions and set up pensions for your employees. In addition, Disability North will calculate and submit your end of year tax returns.
- Send your care provider regular payments on your behalf.
Independent living advice
- Provide information and advice on independent living.
- Demonstration areas for trying out equipment.
- Wheelchair and mobility aid assessments.
- In house occupational therapist.
Disability awareness training
- Provide disability awareness training to organisations and challenge myths and perceptions associated with disability.
Fundraising and outreach
- Disability North has a fundraising initiative with local schools whereby the students come up with fundraising ideas and also learn about disability issues.
- Host a number of events to raise both money and awareness.
Accessible room hire
- Fully accessible room available for hire to be used for workshops, seminars and training sessions.
Disability North is based out of The Dene Centre in Newcastle. It has the following accessibility features:
- Hearing loop system.
- First floor accessible via one of three staircases all fitted with stairlifts, a through floor lift or an external ramp.
- Multiple accessible toilets featuring grab rails, two of which also have wash-dry facilities, two with changing facilities and one with a ceiling track hoist.
- Multi-terrain mobility garden for testing mobility equipment.
- Dog run for assistance dogs.