Talkin Tarn Country park hosts a 65-acre lake resting deep within farmland and woodland. The tarn is fed by underwater streams and was formed thousands of years ago by glaciers. An incredibly scenic area, it is perfect for a quiet stroll or a day out with the family. There are opportunities to take part in a range of activities on the water, from canoeing to fishing. After a busy day out you can take a break at The Boathouse Tearoom and explore its connected shop.
Things to do:
- Follow the permanent orienteering course takes you through the tarn’s surrounding paths and woods.
- There is a 1.3 mile wheelchair accessible path that wraps around the whole tarn.
- Fishing, kayaking, and rowing boat hire is available. Mountain bike hire is also available from the shop.
- There is a small camping and caravanning site
- The Boathouse Tearoom rests on the edge of the tarn and offers astounding views. The connecting shop proudly stocks many items made in the local area.
For more information, click here.
Talkin Tarn is only a short 9 mile drive from Carlisle and 2 miles from the town of Brampton. There is a carpark directly next to the tarn.
The woodland path that surrounds the tarn is suitable for wheelchairs although some branching trails may be uneven.
Additionally, Talkin Tarn Country Park is linked to nearby accommodation.
If you would like to visit another country park in the northern region, click here.