Covid Update: The Museum is currently closed, check the website for opening arrangements once we progress to the next stage of the “Road Map”.
The Bowes Museum is a beautiful, imposing building set in impressive grounds, it is a highly significant institution to anyone interested in art, history, science and culture. The grounds alone can offer a beautiful walk out, utilised by walkers and cyclists if you just fancy taking in some beautiful gardens, topiary and well manicured lawns. The Bowes Museum is located on the outskirts of the picturesque market town of Barnard Castle, in Teesdale, County Durham, and is home to:
- First world war commemoration project
- Galleries, exhibitions and events which change regularly to feature and discuss different artists, history, religion and science
- Displays of paintings, antiques and other art work
- Displays celebrating locally, nationally and internationally acclaimed artists
- Seasonal events
- Conservation of historic objects for display in the museum
- Research and scholarships; the archiving of culturally and historically paramount pieces with the aim of raising awareness for the purposes of education, research and training
- Online resources and activities for both adults and children, from educational videos to craft sessions and more!
- Learning opportunities for primary school and secondary school aged children
- Education and training for those studying at university and beyond standard
- Reading room
- Gift shop
- Stunning, unforgettable and unique venue for weddings