What is Sage Gateshead?
The Sage is a renowned concert and event venue based on the Gateshead Quayside. Hosting over 400 concerts and welcoming more than 2 million visitors each year, to say the venue is “popular” is an understatement. Here, concert goers can expect to hear the best of both local and international music.
Sage Gateshead is currently CLOSED due to maintenance works. The building will re-open for the autumn term on 8th September.
However, you can still call Sage’s Box Office. Check out our FAQ’s to keep up to date with Box Office opening times!
What Can I Do at Sage Gateshead?
Experience incredible acoustics at a Sage Gateshead Event
Sage Gateshead is renowned for its awesome acoustics. As a mater of fact, it has been said that the venue is…
“In the top 5 best concert halls in the world”
That’s a quote from Lorin Maazel. If you’re going to trust anyone, trust a guy who conducted in venues across the world from age 8 to 84!
So, why not take in a concert or gig at Gateshead’s world-class venue? Whether your flavour is classical or contemporary pop, there’s something for everyone. Check out the The Sage Gateshead’s upcoming events here.
Note from Eric: Sage Gateshead’s very own Royal Northern Sinfonia is central to their classical programme. Check out this link to see when you can catch them.
Have a brew with a view
You don’t have to pay for a concert ticket to admire The Sage. Entry into the building itself is free! Admire the architecture from the inside and grab a coffee from the on-site cafe as well. The coffee will cost £. However, you’ll get stunning views of the NewcastleGateshead for free.
The Sage are passionate about engaging people of all ages and abilities with music. That’s evident in their Make Music classes.
Whether you fancy being a sax maestro or casually having a crack at ukulele, there’s something for everyone. From classes for adults to workshops for families with children aged 0-7. As well as music production for ages 16-25 and sessions for young adults with additional needs.
Classes take place at The Sage, Gateshead. Unless, of course, you sign up for their VirTuition virtual music tutorials. In which case, you can learn from home at your own pace!
There are also one off workshops and masterclasses on offer. View all of the opportunities to Make Music here.
- Sage Gateshead has step-free access and all entrances are accessible.
- Disabled parking bays make up 15% of Sage Gateshead’s own car park. Blue Badge Spaces are located right next to lifts.
- All lifts in the car park have braille signage.
- There are also 34 disabled parking bays at the rear of The Sage.
- Disabled parking is FREE at all times for Blue Badge Holders.
- There are accessible toilets located on all levels of the building.
- The disabled toilets have pictorial, tactile and Braille signage on or near the toilet door.
- Unisex baby changing facilities are located on every level of The Sage Gateshead building.
- Sage has a changing places facility on level 1.
Other Accessibility Info
- Sage Gateshead’s box office, performance spaces, cafe, brasserie and bars are accessible to all.
- Breastfeeding is welcome in The Sage.
- Sage is dog-friendly! Furry friends are welcome in public areas and staff will help you find dog-water stations. However, only assistance dogs are allowed in performance areas.
- The venue is serviced by fully accessible lifts. All lifts have braille signage.
- There are a number of relaxed performances throughout the year. These are perfect for those with sensory needs.
Accessible Music Training Programmes
- Sage Gateshead’s Music Spark offers a music training programme for people aged 15-25 with additional needs.
- Whilst Loud & Clear is a music programme early years looked after, adopted children and their families. The programme aims to support personal, emotional and communication development through music.
Sage Gateshead’s Access Requirement Register
- Deaf or disabled people with an access requirement can join Sage’s Access Requirement Register. This helps Sage offer a better service for those with access needs. It also allows you to bring a Personal Assistant along for free!
Find out how you can join the Sage’s access register here.
Looking for more music venues nearby? The 02 City Hall is located just across the river in Newcastle. If you’re up for a more intimate venue – the O2 City Hall is the one!