Established over 30 years ago, The World of Beatrix Potter was an immediate success with its handcrafted displays of scenes and characters from the tales of Beatrix Potter. In the heart of the Lake District, The World of Beatrix Potter celebrates her life and dedication to the preservation of the natural world. Since then, the exhibition has expanded and modernised and now also includes the Old Laundry Theatre. This is a 270 seat auditorium which is popular with touring plays and productions. Now, visitors can enjoy a short film ands walk through the habitats of beloved characters such as Jemima Puddleduck, Mrs Tiggy-Winkle and of course Peter Rabbit! The World of Beatrix Potter is ideal for children and families who want to immerse themselves in all 23 stories. Explore a range of informative and vibrant exhibits and don’t forget to check out the gift shop and café.
Things to do and see:
- Explore the sensory experience of these character in beautiful scenery and handcrafted puppets.
- Interactive 360 degree view of the Lake District in an exhibit that celebrates Beatrix Potter and her life.
- Peter Rabbit Garden inspired by the food and gardens seen in Potter’s tales, eagle eyed visitors will be on the look out for hidden details from the stories!
- A café that serves a range of drinks, lunches and sweet treats.
- A gift shop dedicated to Potter’s stories and Peter Rabbit and friends!
- Old Laundry Theatre runs a variety of productions, click here to see what’s on.
For information on opening times and prices, click here!
The World of Beatrix Potter has two entrances and is accessible via a steep ramp from the Crag Brow entrance.
All areas inside the building are wheelchair accessible with a lift to the café and toilets.
The tour is a sensory experience with lots of colours, things see, hear and smell. If contacted at least 2 weeks in advance a tour can be booked for visually impaired visitors to have a tactile experience of the exhibit.
There is no disabled parking on the site.
For more information, click here.
To visit another tourist attraction in Windermere, see here.