What is Newcastle Theatre Royal?
Big fan of live drama? Newcastle’s Theatre Royal is where it’s at. The Tyneside theatre hosts the finest West-end musicals, award winning ballet and awesome opera. Plus, the Theatre Royal hosts regular family events and the best panto in Newcastle. It is the epicentre of the city’s culture.
Events at Newcastle Theatre Royal
So, what’s on at Newcastle’s famous Theatre? Here are the latest upcoming events. We’ve separated the events by type (e.g. musical, comedy, family, ballet). Eric thought, this way, you’ll easily be able to find what you’re looking for.
(We’ve also linked directly to the Theatre’s website so you can have a look and book your tickets).
Musicals and Drama
30 Aug – 10 Sep 2022 – Jersey Boys
13 – 17 Sep 2022 – Derren Brown: Showman
20 – 24 Sep 2022 – South Pacific
26 Sep – 1 Oct 2022 – Girl From the North Country
4 – 8 Oct 2022 – Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
11 – 15 Oct 2022 – Fisherman’s Friends: The Musical
15 – 19 Nov 2022 – The Rocky Horror Show
Family and Kids Shows
28 Sep – 2 Oct 2022: The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Ballet and Dance
18 & 19 Oct 2022 – Les Ballets Trockadero
25 – 29 Oct 2022 – The Little Mermaid
9 Oct 2022 – A Gala Celebration of Gilbert & Sullivan
1 – 3 Nov 2022 : Opera North: La traviata
4 Nov 2022: Opera North: Orfeo ed Euridice
5 Nov 2022: Opera North: Orpheus
Newcastle Theatre Royal’s Famous Panto
29 Nov 2022 – 15 Jan 2023: Cinderella
11 Dec 2022 & 11 Jan 2023: Cinderella: Relaxed Performance
If you wish to see what’s on in 2023 and beyond, visit the Theatre’s website here.
Food and Drink
Can you get a slap-up meal at the theatre? No. Although, the Theatre Royal’s bars and kiosks sell a variety of snacks, soft drinks and alcohol. They’re open 1 hour before the start of your show until the end of the interval.
Ice cream and sweet goods are also sold in the auditorium during the interval. So you don’t have to move from your seat if you don’t want to!
Want to find somewhere to eat before your show? Well, a handful of restaurants in Newcastle offer discounts if you’re going to the Theatre Royal. Plus, they’re all really close by. Have a look to see which eatery you fancy here.
Accessibility and Seating at Newcastle’s Theatre Royal
One thing Eric loves about Newcastle’s Theatre Royal is their commitment to disabled access. And this is exemplified in their regular hosting of accessible performances.
From audio described to captioned performances. To BSL and relaxed shows. The Theatre Royal do everything they can to make their shows inclusive. They even offer Touch Tours of the stage and set for blind visitors! Click here to view their latest accessible shows.
- The main entrance to the theatre has an accessible entrance with a push button automated door.
Accessible Seating at Theatre Royal
- There are 8 wheelchair spaces in the auditorium: four in the stalls, two in the Grand Circle and two in the upper circle.
- However, the seating in the Grand Circle may not be suitable for larger wheelchairs. It’s recommended that this is checked at the point of booking.
- Assistance dogs are welcome in all areas! Customers with an assistance dog are advised to book an aisle seat.
- Newcastle’s famous Theatre Royal has also provided this awesome floor guide for disabled visitors. So you can check where disabled access facilities are and plan your trip with ease.
- There are 3 disabled bays on Hood Street.
- If you’re visiting for a show, there’s also a drop-off point on Shakespeare Street. This is handy for customers that struggle to walk long distances.
- 4 accessible toilets are located in Newcastle’s Theatre Royal. They can be seen on the floor plan above. Also, you can view the dimensions of each accessible toilet here
Other Accessibility Information
- The theatre has a Dedicated Access Line for customers with access needs.
- If you’re signed up to the Access Membership Scheme, you can book FREE companion tickets online.
- Theatre Royal has Dedicated Access Hosts to help customers during their visit.
- All staff are Sunflower Scheme trained. So they recognise not all disabilities are visible.
- There are currently no low level accessible counters at kiosks or bars. Although staff are on hand to give assistance where required.
- For those that need it, a limited number of booster cushions are available.
- The Theatre Royal has 1 customer lift that services all levels of the theatre. It is prioritised for visitors with access needs. Since it is the only lift in the venue, there may be times when visitors have to queue.
- If you think your assistance dog may not be a theatre fan, Theatre Royal offers an assistance dog sitting service. How awesome is that?
- Theatre Royal have also created a Social Story to help Neurodivergent visitors to plan their trip.
Access Membership Scheme
Theatre Royal Newcastle also offers an Access Membership Scheme. Visitors who sign up can get
- Dedicated Access Phone Line
- Dedicated Access Email
- Regular emails telling you about new Accessible performances
- Free companion ticket (eligibility criteria applies)
You can have a look at the other benefits and sign up with a simple online application here.
Looking for more live arts and cultural events near Newcastle? Why not take in a concert at The Sage? The world class music concert venue is just across the river in Gateshead!